Sunday, March 15, 2009

Third Conditional

Objective: Use appropriately the third conditional both in spoken and written English

* We use the third conditional to imagine a different past.
If + past perfect + would have + past participle

If I had done my homework, my teacher wouldn't have shouted at me.
(In reality, I didn't do my homework, and my teacher shouted at me. So we are imagining a different past)

She would have passed her exam if she had studied more.
(In reality she didn't study enough, and so she didn't pass her exam. So we are imagining a different past)

Important points
* We can use other modal verbs in place of would.
If they'd come earlier, they could have got a seat.
(In reality, they didn't come early, and they didn't get a seat. In our different past, there was a possibility of a seat)

* Mixed conditional if + past perfect + would + bare infinitive
Sometimes we want to say that the result of an action is now.
If it hadn't rained, I would have gone to the beach.
(In reality, it rained in the past, and I didn't go to the beach in the past)

If it hadn't rained, I would be at the beach / would be sitting on the beach.
(In reality, it rained in the past, and I am not at the beach now. This is a mixed conditional)

Grammar


After watching this video:


Do these exercises:

Exercise 1

Exercise 2

Exercise 3

Listening, speaking and writting

What this video pay "forward for it" and the discuss with your perss.



What would all the people have done if they had been educated in this way?

Watch this video and then discuss with your peers.


What would have humanity done if it had used the nuclear theory in order to improve the life on the earth?

Finally, write a report to your teacher stating how would have been the world if human beings had not been so materialist?


Quizz


Reflection

What have I learnt?
What else do I need to review?
Do I need more exercises?
What are my needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment