Sunday, March 15, 2009

First Conditional



Objective: Use appropriately the first conditional both in spoken and written English.


First conditional: A real possibility in the future

A First Conditional sentence is made of two clauses, an "if" clause and a main clause:




If the "if" clause comes first, a comma is usually used. If the "if" clause comes second, there is no need for a comma:

Example:

If I get tired, I will go to bed.
I will go to bed if I get tired.

May and Might

We can use may and might instead of will when we are not sure of the consequence.

Example:

You will get wet if you walk in the rain. [Of course you will get wet!]
You might get sick if you get wet. [Maybe you will get sick.]
If you go to the party, you may have fun. [Maybe you will have fun.]

Exercises

Listen and grammar

Watch this video and afterwards do the Exercises. If you do not get 100%, try again, until you manage to achieve it.




Exercise 1
Exercise 2
Exercise 3
Exercise 4


Writing

After watching the video, write a two paragraph essay using the first conditional for this prompt: You are in Europe and tomorrow your mother will send you € 10,000, what will you do with that money?

Reflection

What have I learnt?
What else do I need to review?
Do I need more exercises?
What are my needs?


1 comment: